The GACDL and GACDLCJA listservs are hosted by Gaggle (http://gaggle.email). Subscriptions are limited to current GACDL members for the GACDL listserv. In extraordinary cases, non-GACDL members shall be included on a case by case basis as approved by the executive committee of the Board of Directors. Non-members and student members are not permitted to subscribe to the GACDL listserv. Student members are not permitted to subscribe to the GACDLCJA listserv. The costs of maintaining the GACDLCJA listserv are borne by GACDL. Subscriptions are open to criminal defense practitioners handling federal cases. It is hoped that GACDLCJA listserv subscribers will see the benefit of GACDL membership and join here.
SUBSCRIBING TO THE LISTSERV
Send an email to the listserv administrator, Mike Shapiro by clicking here. Please ensure that your name appears on your email to expedite processing.
POSTING TO THE LIST
For the GACDL listserv, send an email to email@example.com. For the GACDLCJA listserv, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Every member of the list will get the email.
CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS
Gaggle is very user-friendly. Subscribers can change the email address where they receive listserv messages or change message delivery settings (Immediately, Daily Digest, or Pause messages such as when a member goes on vacation). Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile."
Initially, subscribers’ message delivery is automatically set to Immediately, such that each message is sent individually. If receiving individual messages (the list averages 25-30 messages per day) is not desirable, use the link above to change message delivery to Daily Digest such that an entire day’s messages are bundled into a single email.
SEARCHING ARCHIVED MESSAGES
Log in here to access archived messages. Messages from the old YahooGroups listserv as well as messages posted to Gaggle can be searched.
If you aren't sure why you're on the list, or if you have any questions about how it works, you can contact the list administrator here.
GACDL Listserv Policy
1) Membership: The members of the GACDL Listserv shall consist of members of the GACDL. In extraordinary cases, non-GACDL members shall be included on a case by case basis as approved by the executive committee of the Board of Directors.
2) Permitted Discussions: The GACDL Listserv is a resource solely for questions and answers pertaining to the practice of, or discussions about, criminal defense, and announcements by the GACDL staff to its members.
Questions about non-criminal defense law practice are allowed, and considered off-topic. These questions may be posted to the Listserv with a subject line beginning with OT (off-topic). All replies to these off-topic posts must be sent directly to the originator of the message thread, and not to the entire Listserv. Please be sure to reply to off-topic posts by choosing "reply," rather than "reply all."
Topics unrelated to the practice of law are prohibited.
3) Forwarding/Dissemination of Messages: In order to protect the integrity of the Listserv and its members, no messages may be disseminated to anyone outside of GACDL without express permission of all authors.
4) Personal Affronts: GACDL honors all members equally. The use of personal insults, scornful language, or ridicule in addressing or describing any member or group of members of the Association will not be tolerated on the GACDL Listserv.
5) Signatures: Each Listserv message shall be signed with at least the first and last names of the author. An email signature providing telephone contact information for the author is preferred.
Members who violate this policy causing complaints to the GACDL are subject to immediate moderation by a Listserv administrator, and will remain on moderation while the issue is under review.
The Listserv Committee and the Executive Director shall review the actions and complaints. The Listserv Committee shall vote on whether a violation has occurred, and decide upon any necessary sanctions. Violators may be subject to further sanctions by the Executive Committee or the full Board of Directors of the GACDL.
By joining the GACDL Listserv you agree to abide by these rules. If you have questions about this policy, please contact Jill Travis at 404-248-1777 or email@example.com. If you do not agree with the rules, please do not participate in the GACDL Listserv.
Please note that this GACDL Listserv Policy is emailed directly to all subscribers on the GACDL Listserv as part of the welcome message on the first day of their subscription to the listserv and monthly .
Answers to Common Questions About the Listservs
1. Receiving too many messages? (Adjusting your message delivery settings)
The GACDL listserv can average 25-30 messages each day. If this is too many messages, it is a simple matter to adjust the message delivery do Daily Digest and get only 1 message per day. Message delivery settings include Immediately (each message is sent individually), Daily Digest (all messages from a day are bundled together and sent once), or Pause (stop receiving messages, useful when a member goes on vacation). Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile." On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings under When to receive messages.
2. Going on vacation and returning from vacation?
If you wish to stop receiving GACDL listserv messages temporarily, such as when you are going on vacation. Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile."
On the left side of the screen select My Details and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings to Pause under When to receive messages.
When you return from vacation, you can restore message delivery to either Individual or Daily Digest by following the above instructions and selecting the desired message delivery setting.
3. Changing your email address for GACDL listserv messages?
If you wish to change your email address for GACDL listserv messages. Just visit Gaggle here and sign in. On the left side of the screen select My Details and on the right side of the screen select Edit beneath your current email address. Type in your new email address and select Save.
5. I no longer have access to my subscribed email account, what should I do?
If you have lost access to your subscribed email account (example, you’ve forgotten your password and cannot read messages, or were previously signed up with a Yahoo email but had your messages forwarded), simply email the listserv administrator with your new email address (that you do have access to) by clicking here.
6. GACDLCJA (federal appointments under the “Criminal Justice Act”) listserv subscribers should substitute GACDLCJA wherever the notes above indicate GACDL.
If you have a question not answered here, please email Listserv Administrator Mike Shapiro (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call the office at (404) 248-1777.