The GACDL and GACDLCJA listservs are hosted by Gaggle (http://gaggle.email). Subscriptions are limited to current GACDL members for the GACDL listserv. In extraordinary cases, non-GACDL members will be included on a case by case basis as approved by the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors.
Non-members and student members are not permitted to subscribe to the GACDL listserv. Student members are not permitted to subscribe to the GACDLCJA listserv.
The costs of maintaining the GACDLCJA listserv are borne by GACDL. Subscriptions are open to criminal defense practitioners handling federal cases. It is hoped that GACDLCJA listserv subscribers will see the benefit of GACDL membership and join here.
SUBSCRIBING TO THE LISTSERV
Send an email to the listserv administrator, Mike Shapiro, by clicking here (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please ensure that your name appears on your email to expedite processing and specify if you wish to subscribe to the mail list (GACDL) or the federal appointed list (GACDLCJA).
LOGGING IN TO GAGGLE FOR THE FIRST TIME
If you have requested a subscription to the listserv or were a member of the Yahoo listserv, you already have an account, but don’t yet have a password. While not exactly intuitive, the process to set up your password is quite simple. There are two ways to do this:
1. If you have the welcome email (subject line: Welcome to the mailing list), click the link in the second paragraph which is titled "CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS." This will take you to your member details. Save your name and email information. You can also adjust your message settings at this time. After you have saved your information, in the upper right corner click "create account." This will will prompt you to enter a password. Gaggle will send you an email to confirm the account. The subject line of this email will be: Gaggle Mail Account. In the email, click "confirm email." This will re-direct you to the Gaggle website. Ensure you have the correct password by logging out and logging back in using the icon on the top right of the page.
2. If you do not have the welcome email, click here. This will take you to Gaggle's website. Click "sign in" in the upper right corner. Click "forgot password." Enter your email address and click "submit." You will then receive an email with the subject line: Gaggle Mail-Password Reset. Click the reset password link in the email, enter the new password, and then sign in to Gaggle with the new password. Ensure you have the correct password by logging out and logging back in using the icon on the top right of the page.
POSTING TO THE LIST
Initially, message delivery is automatically set to Immediately, such that each message is sent individually. If receiving individual messages (the list averages 25-30 messages per day) is not desirable, change your settings to Daily Digest such that an entire day’s messages are bundled into a single email.
CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS
Gaggle is very user-friendly. You can view Gaggle’s quick start guide here.
You can change the email address where you receive listserv messages or change message delivery settings. The delivery options include: Immediately (each message is sent individually), Daily Digest (all messages from a day are bundled together and sent once), or Pause (stop receiving messages, useful when a member goes on vacation). To make changes, visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right-hand corner, and select "your profile." To change your delivery, on the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings under When to receive messages. To change your email address, click on the “change” bar below your email address.
SEARCHING ARCHIVED MESSAGES
Log in here to access archived messages. Messages from the many years that the listserv was hosted at YahooGroups as well as messages posted to Gaggle can be searched.
If you aren't sure why you're on the listserv, or if you have any questions about how it works, you can contact the listserv administrator here (email@example.com).
(last updated August 2023)
1) Membership: The members of the GACDL Listserv will consist of members of the GACDL. In extraordinary cases, non-GACDL members will be included on a case-by-case basis as approved by the Executive Committee or the Board of Directors.
2) Permitted Discussions: The GACDL Listserv is a resource solely for questions and answers pertaining to the practice of, or discussions about, criminal defense, and announcements by the GACDL staff to its members; provided, however, that members seeking political office may post a message announcing their own candidacy and members can acknowledge a GACDL candidate’s election results. Recognizing that members come from diverse backgrounds and have a wide variety of political beliefs, posting messages of support for political candidates for any office or any party is not permitted. Please confine personal “soapbox” type opinions to your own website, blog, or mailings. As in all professional settings, your posts should avoid religious or sexual references, and should avoid political references except as authorized in this paragraph. Posts on the Listserv should benefit members’ practices and their clients’ matters. Posts that do not effectuate those ends should be avoided. Be mindful that even posts that are on-topic can be disrespectful to other subscribers or so provocative in nature as to cause unnecessary discord. Thus, subscribers shall be thoughtful about the wording, phrasing, and tone, in addition to the content, of each post made to the listserv. Subscribers shall be respectful toward other subscribers.
Questions about non-criminal defense law practice are allowed but are considered off-topic. These questions may be posted to the Listserv with a subject line beginning with OT (off-topic). All replies to these off-topic posts must be sent directly to the originator of the message thread, and not to the entire Listserv. Please be sure to reply to off-topic posts by choosing "reply," rather than "reply all."
Topics unrelated to the practice of law are prohibited.
3) Forwarding/Dissemination of Messages: To protect the integrity of the Listserv and its members, do not disseminate any Listserv message to anyone outside of GACDL without express permission of all authors.
4) Personal Affronts: The use of personal insults, scornful language, disparaging, defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, or offensive remarks in posts are strictly prohibited on the GACDL Listserv.
5) Signatures: Each Listserv message must be signed with at least the first and last names of the author, and their email address. An email signature that provides telephone contact information for the author is preferred. Click here to learn how to create a signature on your messages.
6) Posting: A concise and accurate Subject line helps listserv readers, so please draft yours carefully. When posting a link (e.g., press, article, website, blog, etc.) it is helpful to include a brief explanation of why the link may be beneficial to GACDL members and/or their clients.
7) Complaints: The Listserv exists as a place for discussion, not complaints. In the event that a subscriber believes that a violation of this policy has occurred, kindly do not add to that message thread. Rather, contact the Technology Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org), Listserv Administrator (email@example.com), or Executive Director (firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-248-1777).
When an alleged violation of this policy by a subscriber comes to the attention of a GACDL staff member, the Listserv Administrator, or GACDL Technology Chair, such subscriber will be subject to immediate moderation by a Listserv administrator and will remain on moderation while the issue is under review.
The Listserv Committee and the Executive Director will review the actions and complaints. The Listserv Committee will vote on whether a violation has occurred, and decide upon any necessary sanctions, including, but not limited to, suspension of Listserv privileges, moderation, and removal from the Listserv. Violators may be subject to further sanctions by the Executive Committee or the Board of Directors of the GACDL.
By joining the GACDL Listserv you agree to abide by this policy. If you have questions about this policy, please contact the Executive Director, Mazie Lynn Guertin (email@example.com or 404-248-1777), or the Listserv Administrator, Michael B. Shapiro (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you do not agree with this policy, please do not participate in the GACDL Listserv.
Please note that this GACDL Listserv Policy is emailed directly to all subscribers on the GACDL Listserv as part of the welcome message on the first day of their subscription to the Listserv and posted to the listserv monthly.1. Receiving too many messages? (Adjusting your message delivery settings)The GACDL listserv can average 25-30 messages each day. If this is too many messages, it is a simple matter to adjust the message delivery do Daily Digest and get only 1 message per day. Message delivery settings include Immediately (each message is sent individually), Daily Digest (all messages from a day are bundled together and sent once), or Pause (stop receiving messages, useful when a member goes on vacation). Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile." On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings under When to receive messages.
2. Going on vacation and returning from vacation?
If you wish to stop receiving GACDL listserv messages temporarily, such as when you are going on vacation. Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile."
On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings to Pause under When to receive messages.
When you return from vacation, you can restore message delivery to either Individual or Daily Digest by following the above instructions and selecting the desired message delivery setting.
3. Changing your email address for GACDL listserv messages?
If you wish to change your email address for GACDL listserv messages. Visit Gaggle here and sign in. On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen select "Edit" beneath your current email address. Type in your new email address and select "Save."
4. How can I use multiple "alias" email addresses?
Do you have several email addresses and want to be able to send listserv messages from any of these addresses but only receive messages from one of these email addresses? This is where member alias addresses come in. Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile." On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen add the new email addresses under Alternate email address.
5. How do I set up my Gaggle account?
Click on the link in the welcome email to set up your account. If you cannot find the welcome email, go to Gaggle, click sign-in at the top of the page, and select "forgot password."
6. How do I post messages to the GACDL listserv?
7. I no longer have access to my subscribed email account, what should I do?
If you have lost access to your subscribed email account (example, you’ve forgotten your password and cannot read messages, or were previously signed up with a Yahoo email but had your messages forwarded), email the listserv administrator with your new email address (that you do have access to) by clicking here (email@example.com).
8. I have stopped receiving listerv messages. What should I do?
First, be sure that you are using your subscribed email address and check all your spam folders to ensure that your messages are not being sent to those folders.
Second, ensure that you are subscribed with the correct email address. Visit Gaggle here and sign in. On the left side of the screen select "My Details." Make sure you are subscribed with the correct email address. If you need to change the email address, look on the right side of the screen and select "Edit" beneath your current email address. Type in your new email address and select "Save."
Third, try using the whitelisting kit below. This explains how to whitelist the group address so that your email server does not block the messages.
• iPhone of iPad:
o Press and hold firstname.lastname@example.org (or any of the other listserv emails you are having trouble with) email address
o Select "Add to Contacts"
o Select "Create New Contact"
o Fill in the details and press Done
o Go to https://contacts.google.com
o Click Add Contact at the bottom right of the screen
o Set contact name as "GACDL"
o Set contact email as email@example.com (or any of the other listserv emails you are having trouble with)
o Click the cog icon in the top-right corner, and then Settings
o Click on Filters and then Create a new filter
o Enter the email address firstname.lastname@example.org (or any of the other listserv emails you are having trouble with) From field
o Click Create filter with this search
o In the box headed When a message arrives that matches this search select Never send it to spam
o Click the Create filter button
• Android Mail
o Open your device's Contacts app
o Tap Add new contact Add
o Enter the contact's name as "GACDL"
o Enter the contact's email as email@example.com (or any of the other listserv emails you are having trouble with)
o When you're finished, tap Save (if you don't see the Save icon, tap Back)
• Apple Mail
o Go to Mail > Preferences from your Mail menu
o Go to the Rules tab
o Select Add Rule
o Give this rule a name such as "GACDL"
o Create a rule that says "If any of the following conditions are met: 'From' 'Contains'" and then paste in firstname.lastname@example.org (or any of the other listserv emails you are having trouble with)
o From the actions, select Move message to mailbox Inbox
o Click OK
o Click Junk in the Delete section of the Home tab and select Junk E-mail Options from the drop-down menu
o On the Junk E-mail Options dialog box, click the Safe Senders tab, then click Add
o On the "Add address or domain" dialog box, enter email@example.com (or any of the other listserv emails you are having trouble with) in the edit box and click OK
o Click the cog icon in the top-right corner and then More mail settings
o Add the domain of the email you want to whitelist to the list of Safe senders
o Return to Safe and blocked senders and then select Safe mailing lists
o Add the email address of the online group you want to whitelist to the list of Safe mailing lists
Still having issues? Contact the listserv administrator here (firstname.lastname@example.org).
9. How do I include my signature line in my posts?
If you are sending a message to the listserv from your email, be sure that you have a signature line set in your email host. That way any message you send will include that signature line.
If you receive individual emails from the listserv and reply, so long as a signature line is set in your email host it will be included.
If you receive a daily digest and want to reply to a message, please click “send me this message” below the message in the digest. You will then receive the original message within your regular email host and can reply from there using your regular signature. If you click “view message” below the message in the digest, you will be redirected to Gaggle. You can reply this way, but you will have to manually enter your signature line.
10. GACDLCJA (federal appointments under the “Criminal Justice Act”) listserv subscribers should substitute GACDLCJA wherever the notes above indicate GACDL. GACDLLEGIS (legislative) listserv subscribers should substitute GACDLLEGIS wherever the notes above indicate GACDL.
If you have a question not answered here, please email Listserv Administrator Mike Shapiro (email@example.com)or call the GACDL office at (404) 248-1777.