||GACDL FAQS (Frequently Asked Questions)|
FOR THE PUBLIC
1) I am a member of the public looking for an attorney. Can you help?
Answer: Click here: Lawyer Search. You can search by city or town to find contact information for members of the association.
FOR OUR MEMBERS
PASSWORD AND LISTSERV:
1) How do I get into the members only section (MOS) of this website?
Answer: Once you log in, the members only section will appear. Click on the blue person icon at the top of this page. Use your email address and password to log in.
Forgot your email address? Check your listing under Lawyer Search.
Forgot your password? Click "forgot password."
More instructions are located under help.
Once you log in, the members only section will appear for you.
2) Please sign me up for the listserv!
Answer: Please look here under Listserv and follow the simple instructions.
3) I signed up for the Listserv today and I’m still not getting any mail.
Answer: Approvals are typically done once a week by our volunteer listserv moderator. Please contact Mike Shapiro if you are not approved within one week.
4) May I advertise my CLE event on the GACDL Listserv?
2) Permitted Discussions: The GACDL Listserv is a resource solely for questions and answers pertaining to the practice of, or discussions about, criminal defense, and announcements by the GACDL staff to its members; provided, however, that members seeking political office may post a message announcing their own candidacy and members can acknowledge a GACDL candidate’s election results. Recognizing that members come from diverse backgrounds and have a wide variety of political beliefs, posting messages of support for political candidates for any office or any party is not permitted.
Questions about non-criminal defense law practice are allowed, but are considered off-topic. These questions may be posted to the Listserv with a subject line beginning with OT (off-topic). All replies to these off-topic posts must be sent directly to the originator of the message thread, and not to the entire Listserv. Please be sure to reply to off-topic posts by choosing "reply," rather than "reply all."
Topics unrelated to the practice of law are prohibited.
5) What is your contact information:
Answer: Our contact information can be found here.
6) When is the office open?
Normalhours are Monday- Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm EST. GACDL is closed on state holidays. The office is closed the day before and day after seminars.
7) I called the office during normal office hours and no one answered the phone!
Answer: We are on the other lines assisting other members, or away from our desks. Please leave a message with your phone number and someone will get back with you as soon as possible.
8) I’m not receiving my newsletter or other mail from GACDL!
Answer: Our newsletters are sent electronically through our website. Be sure your email address is correct on this website by checking our Lawyers Search. If you unsubscribe from GACDL emails, you will NOT receive your newsletters or GACDL seminar materials. Please stay subscribed.
Please be sure that you update GACDL any time that you move or change your email address. You can log in to edit your profile or email Ophelia Attah with any updates.
9) How do I update my mailing address?
Answer: Either log in to edit your own profile, or send an e-mail with your updated contact information: Ophelia Attah.
10) Have I paid my dues this year?
Answer: Check under Lawyer Search. Search for your last name. If your name does not appear, we have not received your dues. Please give us a call at 404-248-1777 with any questions.
11) I do some/mostly court appointed work. Can I pay the PD rate for dues and seminars?
Answer: Most of our regular, contributing, sustaining, and life members do some kind of court appointed work. The PD rate is offered to full-time government employed public defenders and investigators (circuit, county, city, or federal), as well as full-time employees of nonprofit organizations.
12) How much are dues this year?
Answer: You can find a dues invoice here.
New member applications can be found here.
To learn more about the benefits of each level of membership see the dues invoice above or click here.
13) Do you accept credit cards?
Answer: Yes. You can pay for your dues, seminars, and merchandise through the website using any credit card. You can also use a credit card at seminars.
GACDL accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover for most purchases.
A small convenience and handling fee is added to all credit card purchases.
14) May I have a discount on my dues?
Answer: GACDL has among the lowest dues rates in the country for a criminal defense lawyers association. It costs more per person to run the association than we charge each member for dues. Fortunately we have members who join at the contributing and sustaining rates who help subsidize the costs for others. We appreciate your support.
15) What is GACDL's membership term?
Answer: GACDL's fiscal year begins December 1 and ends November 30 each year.
16) I received a dues notice in the mail and I think I already paid.
Answer: The invoice may have crossed the dues payment in the mail, or we may have made a mistake. Please give us a call at (404) 248-1777.
17) I’m joining in June. May I have a discount?
Answer: NEW members who join after May 30 may have a $50 discount off of their second year’s dues. This does not apply to the New Attorney or Public Defender rate.
18) How long does the “new to the bar” discount last?
Answer: Attorneys may pay the “new to the bar” rate for the first two years that they have been members of the bar.
19) How can I register for a GACDL seminar?
Answer: Log in as a member and then register. If you do not log in, the website will not know to offer you the member rates. Help can be found here.
20) I don’t see a seminar registration form for the seminar I wish to attend.
Answer: If the seminar is not on the website, registration is not available yet. The seminar directors and the GACDL Educational Services Committee are still putting together the program. As soon as a seminar is available for registration it will be posted online.
21) Does GACDL accept walk-ins at your seminars?
Answer: For most events the answer is YES!
22) May I come to the seminar events for free and just hang out? I do not need the CLE and I will not be coming to the seminar. I want to network.
Answer: The seminar registration fees pay for the events. GACDL budgets to rent space and provide food for event attendees. If you do not need the CLE and wish to come to the seminar events, simply choose the "no CLE" rate on the seminar form.
23) May I bring my significant other to a GACDL cocktail reception?
If you registered and paid for the seminar, yes. Please feel free to bring your guest.
24) May I bring my spouse, significant other, child, secretary, paralegal, investigator, etc. into the seminar?
Only paid registrants may attend the CLE portion of the seminars. Please contact the office if you need more information.
THE EDUCATION FOUNDATION:
25) I would like to make a tax deductible donation to the Georgia Criminal Defense Lawyers Education Foundation (GCDLEF). How can I do that?
Please make checks payable to GCDLEF and mail them to the GACDL office:
215 Church St.,
Decatur, GA 30030
MATERIALS FOR SALE:
26) How can I buy a Don Samuel 4th Amendment Book?
Answer: Visit the GACDL website or press here.
27) How can I buy a copy of Doug Peters’ manual?
Answer: You must be a dues current member of GACDL. Please find instructions here (note that you must be logged in to view this page).
28) I’d like to order GACDL merchandise. How can I do that?
Answer: You can order GACDL merchandise online here (note that you must be logged in to view this page), or come to our seminars!
FOLLOW GACDL ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
29) How do I join the GACDL Facebook group?
Answer: Request to join by clicking here https://www.facebook.com/groups/GACDL.
30) Is GACDL on Twitter?
Answer: Yes! Please follow us @mygacdl.org.
I HAVE A QUESTION THAT IS NOT IN THIS FAQS LIST!
Answer: Call the GACDL office at (404) 248-1777.
Thank you for being a member!